I suggest that we explore....

shared data storage

Are there consortial opportunities for moving storage to the cloud, or is this something each of us needs to explore and negotiate on our own?

78 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    michael.royAdminmichael.roy (Admin, Transinstitutional Opportunities) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • mark.d.dahlmark.d.dahl commented  · 

If the Amazon S3 model in prevails, storage may become a low cost utility, with little financial benefit in banding together even several hundred colleges to purchase. In fact, I think we may see a decentralization of storage provision, to the point where departments and individual faculty members buy it with their own credit cards.

• Ganesan RavishankerGanesan Ravishanker commented  · 

Good idea, a lot of questions: Who will manage it? Who will ensure the security and availability? Instead, should we negotiate better pricing with the more established entities offering storage in the cloud like Amazon's S3?

• rhkrdgzinrhkrdgzin commented  · 

I'm all for helping to develop a group approach to housing data, parallel to the kinds of group storage libraries are developing. I see little value in everyone's building their own storage for most things.

Feedback and Knowledge Base